Sunday, July 25, 2010

PENNE AL CAVOLFIORE (Penne Pasta with cauliflower)

A few weeks ago a friend approached me and asked me if I would be interested in joining a group of our friends for our own "Biggest Loser Challenge". I, being as competitive as I am, of course, could not turn this one down. Well really the reason is that I know I need to shed a few pounds. So after so many months of slacking off on this blog, I decided to post one of my favorite, so to speak "healthy" recipes. This one makes me feel a little better about eating pasta and still trying to lose weight. Anyhow, I remember this from my beautiful mom, and I remember that when she made this growing up, we all of course would not be thrilled to actually eat cauliflower. Now as I said, I have not only out on a few pounds, I also would like to think that I got a little wiser and I truly love this recipe. If you end up trying it, please leave a comment on this blog whether you liked it or not. This will keep me motivated to keep posting. Well for now here it goes, enjoy:

INGREDIENTS: (Yields 6 servings)
1 medium cauliflower (break it into florets)
1 garlic clove (crush)
4 cups canned whole tomatoes (drain and chop)- I use these rather than the chopped tomatoes already because they seem to work better on this recipe
1/2 cup extra vergin olive oil
1 pound penne pasta
1/2 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Begin by warming up the oil in a saucepan over medium heat, then add the garlic clove being careful not to burn it. Once the garlic is a little softer add the tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes begin to soften as well. Make sure you stir occasionally. You are now ready for the star attraction of this recipe: Add the cauliflower pieces and mix well together. At this point you can add a little hot water (about 1/2 cup should do the trick), cover your pan and lower the heat to low (not simmer but medium low), let cook about 40 minutes or until the cauliflower is nice and tender.
While the action is happening in the sauce pan cook the penne pasta according to directions on the box. Please, please make sure you don't over or under cook the pasta (first rule of cooking italian). When the past is cooked and your cauliflower is ready, mix together (drain the pasta first please), sprinkle with parsley and salt and pepper and serve hot. Most people enjoy a little parmesan cheese but I don't use it on mine simply for taste reasons.
GIVE IT A TRY AND LET ME KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT.

No comments:

Post a Comment